Dear McKay Families
This email contains a link to a recording of McKay's very special 2021 Remembrance Day Assembly.
Due to Provincial Health Authority guidelines, we were not able to host an in-person Assembly with the whole school.
We created a hybrid of an assembly with pre-recorded presentations by each class, and live components with our MCs and some student leaders in an empty gym broadcastng over Zoom to all of our classrooms so that our students and staff could view all of the performances. We thank you in advance for your understandng - as some of the video and sound quality of the performances through Zoom is less than optimal.
- Thank you and congratulations to all of our classes for the time and effort to create the wonderful and powerful perfromances in this year's Assembly. The work of all of our students and entire staff did to make this event a reality for our community has been commendable.
- Special thanks to Mrs McLeod, and her spouse, Mr. McLeod for kindly taking the class recordings and putting them all together in movie form to be shared with our community. This was a huge undertaking and your efforts are greatly appreciated.
- Thanks as well to Ms. Ting for her outstanding leadership, working with Mr. Hurst to help our student leaders during rehearsals, setting up the gym and audio-visual equipment for the live components of the assembly, and also hosting our Zoom Meeting - which was broadcast live to all classrooms.
- Thanks to Mr. Ledesma for generously offering to help make additions and edits to the recordings - and for creating the final copy of the movie and the link to it below.
- Thanks to Ayah in Division 1 and Aurora in Division 2 for the excellent job they did as our Master's of Ceremony, introducing the performances and provide background information on this special day.
- Thanks to our Student Pianists, Tyrion in Division 7 for his beautful rendtion of O'Canada, and to Yiki in Division 1 for her amazing version of John Lennons, "Imagine" to start our assembly,
- Thanks to Payton in Division 2 for leading us in our Land Acknowledgements and his moving speech on Aboriginal Veterans Day and on the contributions of Veterans of First Nations descent who fought for peace and liberty in Canadian Arned Forces.
- Thanks to Division 7 for the beautiful poppies artwork that provided our backdrop in the gym for the live components of the Assembly this year.
All in all, it was a great team effort, and another example of the strong partnerships between students, staff and families at McKay that help make living and learning here such a rich and positive experience for all.
To view the 2021 Remembrance Day Assembly, please click on this link: