March 30, 2020
Dear McKay Families,
I hope that you are well, staying safe, and taking good care of each other during these challenging and uncertain times. There is a lot of uncertainty in the world right now. People have real worries, and fear. I truly believe language matters. So I offer you this perspective and as we move forward, together:
Retreating for Wellness
Protecting for Health
As we move forward, communication will be key. Our Superintendent, Mr. Scott Robinson, sent an email out to all parents on Friday (click here for his message). As indicated in letters you have seen from Mr. Robinson and the Minister, at the core of all decisions moving ahead will be following guidelines:
1. Maintain a healthy and safe environment for all students, families and employees.
2. Provide services to support children of essential workers.
3. Support vulnerable students who may need special assistance.
4. Provide continuity of educational opportunities for all students.
Keeping these priorities front and centre means that although spring break has come to an end, regular instruction cannot resume in the ways we are used to. How and where learning takes place will be different. During the next week or two, our dedicated teachers will be collaborating with colleagues and developing thoughtful plans for how continuity and learning will move forward. Please be patient as we work on this together.
March 30 – April 3:
- School is closed to students, families, and the public until further notice. Please do not visit the school at this time. The health and safety of our community of staff, students, and families is the top priority.
- Teachers will connect with students and families this week or early next week. The first communication from teachers will include time to check in and see how you are all doing and to complete a short survey on how to best support your child for remote learning.
- Teachers are also using their established, regular means of communication to additionally reach out (eportfolio portal, email, etc.)
- The District will continue to keep families informed of matters related to the COVID-19 response on their website at www.sd38.bc.ca
I will share information and keep you informed through email and on our school website. Please do not hesitate to reach out and connect should you have any questions whatsoever. We are in this together!
I hope this message provides you with some clarity regarding what to expect this week. Our school community is a place of caring and belonging. Together, I know we will manage the uncertainty and challenges of the future together. Take care of yourself and your family – health and wellness should be your number one priority and choice at this time.